Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Hardcore bookin' it

Following rafting, I got a ride into La Ceiba in preparation for the following day's travel. I'd been recommended a hotel just across from the bus station, so I headed straight there. I check in at about 7pm, and then I headed to the bus station to buy my bus ticket. The first company, which was about 4 blocks away, was sold out of their 3:30am bus tickets to Tegucigalpa. But they recommended another company that had a bus that left at 3:10am. Conveniently enough, it was only about a block from my hotel. I bought a ticket and headed back to my room.

Why so early? Well, I wanted to avoid spending the night anywhere between Tegucigalpa and the Nicaraguan border... I wanted to get to Nicaragua in one day. And, I found out that evening that there was going to be a nationwide strike which would involve closing down bridges for the morning... and to leave La Ceiba, you have to cross a bridge. But the strikers didn't want to wake up too early, so things were going to be affected as of 6am. All the more reason to get the heck outta Dodge.

I went to bed at about 9pm and woke up at 2:45am and finished my packing. I was sitting on the bus at about 3, and then I popped a Dramamine, which causes drowsiness. (I can't sleep sitting up without something to help me.) I more or less slept until 7am, when we had a breakfast stop.

Now, the night before, I'd made my last run to the ATM, but I'd forgotten to figure in my hotel that night, so I knew that funds were going to be tight if I were to get by on Honduran Lempiras until the border. I figured I had about 50 Limps (~$2.50) for food until I found out exact prices for buses. I spent about 40 limps on breaky and we continued on to Tegus.

At around 10, we rolled into the bus station, and I caught a taxi across town to another bus station. There, I learned the prices of the next three buses to the border. And I had another 15 Limps or so to spend on food! Hooray!

I rode to Danli, switched over to a bus to El Paraiso, then in El Paraiso, I had another snack and a coke (13 Limps). After paying for my last bus ride, I had a total of 3 Limps in my pocket - about $0.16. I paid the Nica entry fee at the border with my last US$7, and when I went to use the bathroom, I was faced with a 3 Cord fee - I asked if I could pay in Limps instead, and they agreed. I managed to leave Honduras with the exactly correct amount of money.

Once I hit Nicaragua, I continued my bus surfing and used 4 different vehicles to get to Granada, arriving at 8:30pm, just 17.5 hours after I'd left La Ceiba. I spent the night there, and after pampering myself in the morning with a pedicure ($3 for an hour's work!) and a fabulous brunch of a panini sandwich with hummus, fruit salad and iced latte, I headed on to San Juan del Sur, one my favorite beach places. Now, I've been here a week and will be moving on on Thursday or Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you remember all those places, buses to catch, times, etc? You are right when you say "hardcore bookin' it." Smart to travel before the strike. Glad you could have some R & R afterwards!

Mom