Tuesday, January 22, 2008

In the beginning...

Anyone who's known me for a while knows that I'm pretty crap at keeping in touch with everyone... my work was an excuse for a long time ("I'm so busy!"), but now that I no longer have that going for me, my true colors are going to show - that I'm just not the best at keeping in touch. Now that doesn't mean that I don't love to open up my e-mail inbox to find messages (short or long) from friends and family... in fact, I'm always a bit disappointed when no one has written me.

Why do I think writing a blog will work? I don't, really. I have a feeling that it'll be something that I do for a bit, then I'll slowly but surely melt off the face of cyberspace... But then again, I may not.

Anyway, that said, a friend (thanks, Katie!) told me that as a woman who gets around so much, I really ought to start a blog regardless, and it doesn't matter if I write once a day, once a week or once a month. And she's probably right. My mom said that she feels dumb when people ask her what country I'm in, and she can't give more than a general continent - well, until I forget all about blogging, this might be her solution.

This is the beginning of things for me in a sense, seeing as I just wrapped up one chapter of my life (tour leader), and I'm starting another (mini-trip around the world). Further chapters might be all over the place, but at least this one will be documented.

So, for those of you who don't know, here's the scoop on my next several months:

Now through March 12
- Mexico (San Cristobal & beach)
- Belize (diving, sailing, island hopping)
- Utila, Honduras (more diving)
- Nicaragua (San Juan del Sur, baby! Bring on the Flor de Cana.)
- Costa Rica (say hi to a friend's new baby, bye to old co-workers en route to the airport)

March 13-26
- Dublin (St. Patty's Day!, visiting friends)

March 26-April 2
- Rome (visiting another friend)

April 3-Julyish?
- Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos (no set itin yet)

And then back to the States just in time for my 10 year high school reunion in Iowa, whenever that may be.

Throughout it all, I'll be posting some of my best pictures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/roamingleah , so check back frequently for updates.

That's all for now. And you hung in there until the end! Congrats...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is WONDERFUL that you will be working on a blog, however sporadically it might be. (Yes, it will help me know what to tell people when they ask where you are.) Your first entry has already informed everyone of a lot you are planning to do. I say more power to you! Your travel know-how and adventuresome spirit are inspiring to everyone. (I bet this is exactly what you wanted--the first blog comment made by your ma!)

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Leah, Oh my goodness I am jealous of all the fun places you are planning to visit. Remember, if you get near Switzerland, Sally and Jeremy would love to see you. They are 30 minutes from Milan. Be safe. Keep us posted. Love, Denese and Bruce

Anonymous said...

Leah,
Great idea! However, it is not in your DNA to maintain the site for very long (I reference your brother's undying pledge to maintain his). Having said that, all your family will appreciate living your experiences with you whenever you can find the time and inclination to tell us about your new and exciting experiences. Wish I could carry your bags for you. To say I'm proud of what you are doing is just stating the obvious. One last item....Be sure to get a full battery of Hepatis B&C, tetanus and Malaria shots prior to your trip to the Far East.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Ole Leah! Love the blog - finally got around to reading it and wished I'd cottoned onto it sooner. It's just like having a conversation with you - fantastic - keep it up amiga - and nice to know where in the world you are. EC